Position: Team Leader
Project Status: Prequalification / Expression of Interest
Project Title: Technical Assistance for the “Employment Promotion through SMMEs – Support programme for the Republic of South Africa”
Project Period: 01.01.2018 – 01.07.2022
Duration of Assignment: 54 months
Country / Duty Station (select): South Africa, Pretoria
The purpose of this contract is to provide technical assistance (TA) during the implementation phase of the ‘Employment promotion through SMMEs — support programme for South Africa’ to key programme stakeholders notably government departments/agencies directly involved in small, micro and medium enterprises (SMMEs) development, and SMMEs themselves. This contract will provide the required capacity-building assistance to government departments/agencies in particular the Department of Small Business Development, the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, the Small Enterprise Finance Agency and its partners, the Small Enterprise Development Agency, and business development services to SMMEs including technical, business and market access expertise.
This contract will assist in the delivery of the programme objectives through the provision of a small team of long-term key experts (core team), and a substantial amount of short-term expertise to be mobilised as required during programme implementation. It is envisaged that the core team will undertake a detailed design of the TA intervention: the contract is expected to commence with an inception phase of up to 6 months during which a detailed design and detailed monthly work plan (a detailed monthly work plan for at least the first year of implementation of the contract following the inception phase) of the TA intervention will be undertaken in consultation with relevant programme partners, followed by the implementation phase of the contract. The core team, supported by short-term expertise where needed, will also engage in organisation and management of any logistical events such as meetings, workshops, conferences, trade exhibitions; supporting the programme governance including as Secretariat to the Steering Committee; monitoring and reporting; and communication and visibility.
The anticipated total volume of the TA contract is €13.8 million.
The proposed Team Leader will be responsible for overall roll-out and implementation of the SMME Support Programme as well as the coordination and leadership of a multi-disciplinary team of key and non-key experts.
He/she should have international experience as well as the expertise to manage and coordinate the planning and implementation of a programme of the type and magnitude as intended under this project. This includes provision of leadership and coordination of the experts involved in the implementation, but also expertise with the management of complex multi-stakeholder programmes with both the public and private sector. In addition the team leader candidate should have already worked in team leader or project manager positions in EU funded programmes and thus be familiar with the specific EU procedures. Regional Experience in South Africa is a great advantage.
Qualifications / experience:
- Qualified and highly experienced Project Manager with an advanced university degree qualification in economics, finance, business administration, public administration or similar.
- Not less than 10 years professional experience in similar projects, of which not less than 5 years should have been as a Project Manager or Team Leader in EU-funded projects. This experience should preferably include the management of a SMME Support or Private Sector Development Programme with comparable characteristics, kind and size as described for this Programme.
- Experience in designing and implementing similar technical assistance programmes in the following specialised areas:
- Business skills and access to markets
- Access to finance
- Red tape reduction, regulatory reform
- Proven experience in comparable working environments and institutional set-ups.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
- Working experience in South Africa
- Self-Initiative, tact and proven ability to maintain harmonious working relationships in a multicultural setting with good leadership and team spirit
Application deadline: 14.08.2017
Apply to email@example.com. Include a cover letter and resume and use: Team Leader (SMME Support Programme) in the subject line.